Leadership Safeguarding StatementThe Leadership of Ealing Christian Centre [hereafter referred to as Leadership]recognises the importance of its ministry and work with children, young people and adults in need of protection and its responsibility to protect everyone entrusted to our care.
This place of worship is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults and ensuring their well-being.
- We recognise that we all have a responsibility to help prevent the physical, sexual, emotional abuse and neglect of children and young people (those under 18 years of age) and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
- We believe every child should be valued, safe and happy. We want to make sure that children we have contact with know this and are empowered to tell us if they are suffering harm.
- All children and young people have the right to be treated with respect, to be listened to and to be protected from all forms of abuse.
- We recognise that we all have a responsibility to help prevent the physical, sexual, psychological, financial and discriminatory abuse and neglect of vulnerable adults and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
- We recognise the personal dignity and rights of vulnerable adults and will ensure all our policies and procedures reflect this.
- We believe all adults should enjoy and have access to every aspect of the life of Ealing Christian Centre unless they pose a risk to the safety of those we serve.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the appointment and selection of all those who will work with children and vulnerable adults.
We are committed to:
- Following the requirements for UK legislation in relation to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults and good practice recommendations.
- Respecting the rights of children as described in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Implementing the requirements of legislation in regard to people with disabilities.
- Ensuring that workers adhere to the agreed procedures of our safeguarding policy.
- Keeping up to date with national and local developments relating to safeguarding.
- Following any denominational or organisational guidelines in relation to safeguarding children and adults in need of protection.
- Supporting the safeguarding co-ordinator/s in their work and in any action they may need to take in order to protect children/vulnerable adults.
- Ensuring that everyone agrees to abide by these recommendations and the guidelines established by this place of worship.
- Supporting parents and families
- Nurturing, protecting and safeguarding of children and young people
- Supporting, resourcing, training, monitoring and providing supervision to all those who undertake this work.
- Supporting all at Ealing Christian Centre affected by abuse.
- Adopting and following the ‘Safe and Secure’ safeguarding standards developed by the Churches’ Child Protection Advisory Service.
- Children’s Social Services (or equivalent) has lead responsibility for investigating all allegations or suspicions of abuse where there are concerns about a child. Adult Social Care (or equivalent) has lead responsibility for investigating all allegations or suspicions of abuse where there are concerns about a vulnerable adult.
- Where an allegation suggests that a criminal offence may have been committed, the church has a duty under the law to report any child protection matters to the Local Authority and the police immediately.
- Where working outside of the UK, concerns will be reported to the appropriate agencies in the country in which we operate, and their procedures followed, and in addition we will report concerns to our agency’s headquarters.
- Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility.
We will review this statement and our policy and procedures annually.
If you have any concerns for a child, young person or vulnerable adult then speak to one of the following who have been approved as safeguarding co-ordinators for this place of worship.
- Pastor Richard Buxton Safeguarding Coordinator
- Akin Osuntoki Deputy Coordinator
- Ruth Trbojevic Youth Coordinator (over 11’s)
- Ernestina Charles-Obi Children’s Coordinator
- Sharon Grant Vulnerable Adults
- Aguo Tateyama Japanese Church
- Irene Hsieh Chinese Church
A copy of the full policy and procedures is available from the Ealing Christian Centre Administration Office.
A copy of our safeguarding policy has been lodged with CCPAS and Elim headquarters